Mon Sept. 23, 2013
Chemistry 1 – We finally started some “real” chemistry today. We began taking measurements for the Mass and Change Lab. Basically this is a six part lab where we start with a substance or two (the system) and put those substances through some change (physical or chemical) and we are collecting data on the system’s mass before and after the change.
Physics 1 – We shared our first Robot Lab data. I gave one class a little more freedom than the other. I had some groups added masses to the robots and measured how that effected time or distance the robot traveled. Other groups measured distance and timed how long it took to get there. The one class agreed before we started that somehow measuring time and distance would be the best ideas. During the WB discussion we worked on interpreting slopes and what they are telling us about the “real” situation.
Chemistry 2 – I introduced the concept of Molarity through a demonstration of dissolving different amounts CuCl2 in water. We decided that in order to tell the difference between the solutions we need to have a ratio that describe some information about the CuCl2 and some information about the water. We listed several possibilities that included moles, mass, and volume. We decided that any of those ratios of would help differentiate that solutions, but it was decided that usually moles of the solute:volume of the solvent would work. We gave this ratio the name of Molarity.